Learn About the EVST Major
Visit our EVST YouTube Channel to learn more about the EVST experience of our recent graduates - follow this link!
Getting Started in the Major
- BA and BS Checklist
- Finding a senior thesis advisor: Over 80 faculty members are affiliated with or teach courses in Environmental Studies. Check out the complete affiliated faculty list here!
- Choosing and Working with an Advisor
- Guide for Juniors
- Senior Essay Handbook
The Environmental Studies department encourages studying abroad, and will work to help support EVST students that take advantage of the opportunity. If you are interested in studying abroad, you can begin your planning on the Yale Study Abroad website, where you can find study abroad programs approved for credit by Yale University. This way, you will not have any trouble transferring the academic credits you earn abroad to your Yale transcript (more information below). You can view application deadlines for studying abroad here.
Once you find a program that interests you, remember to check out the visiting university’s courses to see if there are any classes that will be relevant to your Environmental Studies major and concentration. To confirm that these courses fit into your plan of study, schedule a meeting with the EVST Director of Undergraduate Studies to review your course plan before going abroad.
If you will be studying abroad in the Spring semester of your Junior year, you will want to plan ahead for your senior thesis and make sure you’re on track for graduation when you return. Once abroad, make sure to keep copies of all your syllabi for review by the EVST department. This will help ensure that your classes will be counted correctly in your Yale transcript and towards your EVST major and concentration (e.g. designating an abroad credit as a Science course instead of just a general credit).
There are plenty of resources to help students fund their study abroad experience. In addition to the Yale Grants and Fellowships Database, you can also look through the Yale Financial Aid page for studying abroad and the Yale Study Abroad page for funding opportunities. If you intend to study abroad in the summer and qualify for Yale need-based financial aid during the school year, you can also apply for the International Summer Award (ISA). If approved, this will provide you with a stipend for one summer study abroad program.
One of the most important steps in your study abroad experience is to make sure you receive credit for all your work! You can find information on this process here. You must apply to receive credit before leaving, as you cannot petition to earn credit for study abroad retroactively. Generally, you must apply for credit transfer approval around the same time you are applying to study abroad. For non-Yale programs, the use of study abroad credits towards your major and concentration requirements are decided by the DUS, so make sure to check with the EVST DUS before committing to a study abroad program.
Many study abroad programs will have a representative for Yale University. If they do, reach out to them! They can answer many of your questions and may have a list of past Yale students that have participated in the program. You can also reach out to EVST students who have participated in a study abroad program. They are listed on an interactive map here.
Fellowships and Internships
- Summer Environmental Fellowship (SEF) Information
- Past EVST Student Intern Hosts
- Yale Student Grants and Internships Database
- Yale Center for International Experience
Environmental Career Resources
- Yale YSE Career Services and Environmental Career Events: Yale undergraduates interested in environmental careers are encouraged to attend YSE career info sessions and recruiting fairs.
- Yale Office of Career Strategy: Careers in the Environment Presentation, 2022
- Environmental Job Search Resources through YSE
- Environmental Studies Program Graduates
Yale Library Environmental Studies Research Guides
- Business and the Environment
- Energy and the Environment
- Environmental Data
- Environmental Economics
- Environmental Justice
- Environmental News Sources
- Environmental Studies
- Financing and Deploying Clean Energy
- Food Security
- South Asia: Forestry and Environmental Studies
- Tropical Forest Landscapes: Conservation, Restoration, & Sustainability Use